Monday, June 29, 2009

Now What?

It's quite possible that my current position in education is sucking the life out of me and contributing to a growing lack of enthusiasm for school administration. As secondary principal of a 6-12 building, I faced challenges everyday but those challenges typically had faces, usually students. I could depend on a smile or the need to console a saddened child as a motivating factor that caused me to jump out of bed at 4 am every morning, ready to take on the world. Now, I see paper and read pertinent news items out of Lansing that are nothing short of depressing.

I took this position at the request of the board and urging of teachers and administrators during a time of trouble for our district. While I feel good about what we've been able to accomplish as a team this first year, I am growing less confident that I want to continue as superintendent. Perhaps its just the summer doledrums. This fall, we'll open a new 6th grade campus that will lead in the direction of 1:1 technology, something I am passionate about. I'll hang in there for another year or two and see where I can take this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment that is relevant to this post. Thanks!