Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Two Dads

Another father's day roles around and I find myself missing "my two dads" more than ever. My real dad - biological father - passed away in 1984 at the young age of 57. It was ruled accidental but in reality, he had left us some time before that with Huntington's Chorea, a debilitating brain disease. In the twenty-five years since, I often regret that I had little time to really get to know him beyond the typical relationship a child has with his father. He remains to this day somewhat of a mystery to me and I miss him.

My "other dad" was actually my father-in-law. For a number of years, he was my best friend and mentor. A teacher by trade but he was much more than that and loved life to the fullest. He died nine years ago this summer.

Happy father's day, dads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment that is relevant to this post. Thanks!